Airbnb, the global platform that revolutionized the way we travel and stay, offers a plethora of features designed to enhance the experience for both hosts and guests. One such feature, often inquired about but not always well-understood, is the “owner hold.”
This tool allows hosts to temporarily reserve dates for potential guests, providing flexibility in booking decisions. But how does one effectively utilize this feature without disrupting the flow of reservations?
This article provides a step-by-step guide on implementing an owner hold on Airbnb.
Can Airbnb Host Hold A Reservation?
Yes, Airbnb hosts can utilize the “pre-approval” or “special offer” feature to effectively hold a reservation for a guest. When a guest inquires about specific dates, a host can pre-approve their stay, which gives the guest the option to book without further approval for 24 hours.
Alternatively, hosts can send a special offer, adjusting the price or dates, which also lasts for 24 hours. However, during this period, the listing remains available, and other guests can still book if they proceed faster.
How Do You Do An Owner Hold On Airbnb For Guests?
Airbnb provides hosts with the flexibility to make specific dates on their calendars available exclusively for a particular guest. This is especially useful when a host wants to give a guest some time to decide or when coordinating with multiple potential guests. Here’s how you can hold dates for a guest:
Guest Requests to Book
When a guest sends a booking request, the dates they’ve chosen are automatically held. These dates remain reserved until the host either accepts or declines the request, the request expires, or the guest withdraws their request.
If the host accepts the booking request, the dates continue to be held while Airbnb processes the payment or waits for any necessary verification.
Guest Sends an Inquiry
If a guest sends an inquiry without a formal booking request, the host has the option to pre-approve the inquiry. Once pre-approved, the guest has 24 hours to either accept or decline the pre-approval.
During this 24-hour window, the dates in question are reserved for that guest. It’s important to note that once dates are blocked due to a confirmed reservation, the only way to make them available again is to cancel the reservation. However, cancellations might lead to penalties depending on the host’s cancellation policy.
In conclusion, while Airbnb provides mechanisms to hold dates for guests, it’s crucial for hosts to strike a balance between accommodating potential guests and ensuring their listings remain open and bookable for others.
What Is The Process Of Doing Owner Hold On Airbnb?
Here’s how you can create an owner hold on Airbnb:
1. Log In:
- Sign in to your Airbnb account.
2. Go to Host Mode:
- Switch to hosting mode by selecting “Switch to hosting” from the dropdown menu at the top right corner (if you’re not already in host mode).
3. Access Your Listings:
- Click on “Listings” in the top menu.
4. Select the Relevant Listing:
- If you have multiple properties, click on the listing you want to set the owner to hold for.
5. Access the Calendar:
- Once on the listing’s dashboard, click “Calendar” from the menu.
6. Block the Dates:
- Navigate to the month and date you want to block.
- Click on the start date and drag to the end date you want to block off.
- A menu will pop up on the right side. Click on the “Availability” dropdown and select “Blocked”.
- Click “Save” to finalize the changes.
7. Review Your Changes:
- The dates you’ve blocked will now appear in gray, indicating they are not available for booking.
8. Add Notes (Optional):
- It can be helpful to add notes for your own reference explaining why the dates are blocked. This can be especially useful if you manage multiple properties or have co-hosts.
Using the owner hold feature on Airbnb allows hosts to block off specific dates for a guest, offering them a window to decide without the pressure of someone else booking those dates. However, it’s essential for hosts to communicate clearly with potential guests about the duration of the hold and to be mindful of not missing out on other definite booking opportunities.
By balancing the use of this feature with the overall booking strategy, hosts can provide exceptional service to potential guests while optimizing their rental occupancy and revenue.